The presidency has described as boggling “fictive concoction” claims credited to former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar that President Muhamadu Buhari “for about 15 years, could not visit the United States of America on account of religious considerations.”
Alhaji Abubakar reportedly made the claim in an interview with Dele Momodu which was published in The Boss Newspaper Saturday.
Mr Momodu had asked Mr Abubakar why he had not been able to visit the United States for many years, amid speculations that he is wanted in that country for a slew of sharp practices.
The Presidency’s reaction came in a release , articulated by Special Adviser to the President on Media & Publicity, Femi Adesina on Sunday.
“This fictive concoction being passed off as truth is mind boggling, coming from a former Number Two man of Nigeria, who should know the truth.
“At no time was President Buhari, as a private person, ever forbidden from entering any country in the world. Rather, the rest of the world has always held Muhammadu Buhari as a man of sterling qualities, strong on integrity, transparency and accountability.
“The same testimony is still borne of the Nigerian President by many world leaders today. It is curious that former VP Abubakar had been asked why he had not visited America for over a decade, something that had been a stubborn fact dogging his footsteps.
“Instead of answering directly, he begged the question, saying Buhari also had been disallowed from entering the same country for 15 years, before becoming President.
“We hereby make it resoundingly clear that what the former Vice President said only exists in the realm of his imagination. If he has issues to settle with American authorities, he should do so, rather than clutch at a straw,” they said.